Obanliku Local Government Area
The Obanliku Local Government Area was created by the Military regime of General Ibrahim Babangida on August 27, 1991. Its headquarters is located at Sankwala. Obanliku Local Government is located in the Northern Senatorial District of Cross River State. It is both an inter-State and international boundary Local Government Area. It is bounded in the North by Kwanda Local Government of Benue State in the East by the Republic of Cameroon, the west by Obudu Local Government Area and in the South by Boki Local Government Area.
Obanliku has four basic linguistic groups, which include Bendi, Obanliku, Utanga and Bechere. And for administrative Convenience, the above groups are further divided into Ten (10) council wards viz:
CULTURE/TRADITION & TOURISM:-
- BENDI I
- BENDI II
- BISHIRI SOUTH
- BISHIRI NORTH
The Local Government Area has a rich cultural heritage with each village having a unique cultural dancing troupe. The songs are composed in the local languages and constitute the predominant music in the rural communities.
- New Yam Festival
- Kingship Coronation
- Religious Festivals
TRADITIONAL MARKET DAYS:
|Sankwala Market||Every five days|
||Every five days i.e. a day after Sankwala Market.
||Every 5 days i.e. a day after Amana Market.
||Every 5 day i.e. a day after Amana Market.
|Bendi Centre Market
||Every 5 days i.e. a day after Utanga
- Obudu Cattle Ranch
- Forest Reserves
- Pottery Works
- Numerous waterfalls
- Ranch Hotel
- Local Government Guest House, Sankwala
- Jetty De Bull Guest House, Sankwala
- Games Facilities
ECONOMIC AND INVESTMENT POTENTIALS:
ACHIEVEMENTS AND PROJECTS EXECUTIVE
The people that inhabit Obanliku Local Government Area are predominantly farmers. Agriculture which accounts for about 80 percent of production is the mainstay of the economy of the Local Government Area. The area is blessed with abundant fertile land which is suitable for cultivation of the following cash and crops.
- Soya beams
- Oil Palm
- Citrus Orchard
- Honey breeding
Fishing is done in rural enclaves where rivers and streams exist. This is strictly at the subsistence level.
Large-Scale rearing is carried out. The famous Obudu Cattle Ranch, which situates in Obanliku Local Government Area is characterized by numerous ranges with coast grazing land suitable for cattle rearing and general livestock breeding. Milk, butter, cheese, etc. are produced in large quantity.
- MINING EXPLORATION:
Solid Minerals abound in the area.
- High quality clay suitable for pottery and ceramic work.
- High quality stones suitable for the manufacture of camera lenses.
- High quality rock used for construction after crushing into various sizes.
- Graphite minerals available in the hills that abound in the Local Government Area and could be used in lead pencil production.
- Zinc/Glass traceable in most of the hills in the area.
- Numerous waterfalls and streams useful in spring water development.
The Local government Area is commercially sensitive as all crops cultivated are marketable. These crops include yams, rice, cassava (garri) and kola nut. Banana and honey have essentially won national recognition as they are taken far beyond the Local Government Area and State. Banana is conveyed to the Northern parts of the country while honey is very popular among pharmaceutical companies.
There exist major markets viz Sankwala market, Amagashi market, Bendi Central, Utanga and Amana markets. The Amana market is reputed for its international status given its location in the Nigeria Cameroon border community. Other minor markets exist in the major groups of village.
- INDUSTRIAL AREAS:
- Bendi ii
- EDUCATION AND HEALTH:
- Completion and commissioning of Kabun School block
- Completion of Baga Secondary School block
- Completion of Classroom block at Obanliku Community School, Sankwala.
- Printing of exercise books for School pupils.
- Granting of Financial Assistance to Secondary School Students for registration of SSCE.
- Payment of bursary to Tertiary Students as follow:
- PhD -
N2, 000 each
- Post Graduate -
N12, 000 each
- Other -
- Employment of nannies for primary schools.
- Employment of teachers for primary schools.
- Completion and commissioning of Bayatu Health Centre.
- Completion and Commissioning of Bayayam Health Centre.
- Regular procurement of Drugs
- Regular Immunization,
- ROADS AND TRANSPORTS:
- Completion of bus-stop at the entrance to council secretariat.
- Construction of bridge along New layout road in Begragba.
- Grading of Amana Road
- Construction of Udeshi bridge
- Construction of Buya bridge
- Construction of Besang/Busi bridge
- Construction of numerous culverts
- Repair of two (2) mass transit buses popularly called ďObanliku CommutersĒ
- Repair of EPI Jeep
- Purchase of a bus for the Legislative Council.
- Cultivation of Castor farm at Bebi and Bendi II.
- Resuscitation of Councilís rice mills in the following areas.
- ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
- Reactivation of Obanliku property and Investment company (OPIC).
- Construction of Councilís Petrol Station.
- Repairs of Councilís tractors.
- WOMEN DEVELOPMENT UNIT:
- Construction of benches, installation of electricity and ceiling fans at FSP Nursery School.
- Construction of Vocational Centre. Upbringing of 3 set of triplets. Care of Orphans.
- Donation of benches to Catholic Church Nursery School, Sankwala. Installation of Garri Factories.
- GENERAL ADMINISTRATION:
- Renovations and Conversion of Old Councilís Secretariats to Staff Village.
- Construction of Second phase of Council Secretariat is in progress.
- Furnishing of Conference hall.
- Granting of Financial Assistance to Staff.