Elder (Dr.) Walter Eneji
Deputy Governor, Cross River State
Elder (Dr.) Walter Patrick Eneji was born to Mr. Michael O. B. Eneji and Mrs. Florence Ahoji Eneji both of Abuochiche in Bekwarra Local Government Area of Cross River State,
on the 14th of September, 1947.
Elder (Dr.) Eneji had his Primary Education from
1952 to 1959. He obtained the West African School
certificate (Division two) in 1964 at Mary Knoll
Secondary School, Okuku - Ogoja; Higher School
Certificate in 1966 and B. A. (Hons) English Literature
at the University of Ibadan, Nigeria in 1971 and
later a Post Graduate Diploma in Public Administration
at the University of Ife, Nigeria in 1978.
Elder (Dr.) Eneji commenced his service as a Tutor under the Roman Catholic Mission, Ogoja in the year 1967. He transferred his service to the State Civil Service as an Administrative Officer in 1971;
and was deployed partly also to lecture at the Civil Service Training Centre, Calabar.
In 1973 he was posted to the Public Service Commission as Assistant Secretary. He rose in that career serving in various administrative cadres in State School Board, Ministry of Finance,
Ministry of Works & Transport, Governor's Office as Chief of Protocol; Secretary, Executive Council; Cross River State Housing Corporation as General Manager and as Director-General in Ministry of
Finance from 15/1/92 to 22/9/92.
Elder (Dr.) Eneji has, at various times, held the following political appointments in recognition of his sterling career contributions to the growth and development of Cross River State:
- Commissioner and Member of the State Executive Council from 23rd September
1993 to 19th November 1993;
- First Commissioner in the Cross River State Civil Service Commission, from May 1997 t0 29th May, 1999;
- Secretary to the Cross River State Government on 29th May, 1999 - a position he held until February 18th, 2003;
- Deputy Governor of Cross River State on 19th February, 2003 under the platform of the Peoples' Democratic party (PDP).
Directorship Positions Held
- Director - Cooperative Development Bank Limited
- Director - Equity and Investment Company Limited
- Director - Bildahaus Mortgage Finance Limited
- Director - C. R. S. Property & Investments Limited
- Director - Rescue Insurance Company Limited
- Director - Manilla Insurance Company Limited
- Director - First Aluminum Products
Professional / Honorary Awards
He has attended many management courses and holds
the following positions:
- Member - Nigerian Institute of Management (NIM)
- Member - The American Management Association/International (AMA International)
- Member - The Institute of Executive Secretaries and Administrators of Nigeria (ESA)
- Member - The Institute of Personnel Management of Nigeria (IPM);
- Fellow - Institute of Corporate Executives of Nigeria (FICEN)
- Fellow - International Institute of Administrative Management (FIIAM)
- Fellow - Institute of International Administration and Management
- Fellow - American Biographical Institute
- Fellow - Cambridge Biographical Institute
- 21st Century Medal Award for Excellence - Cambridge Biographical Institute
- Honoured by the Carolina Christian university, Thomasville, USA with a PhD in Business Management and Doctor of Divinity (DD) Theology on the 9th of September, 2000.
- Second Place Winner of the John F. Kennedy Essay Memorial Contest (Schools Level) in 1966.
Elder (Dr.) Eneji has been conferred with the distinguished status of the Individual Professional Manager by the American Management Association (International).
He is deeply spiritual. he is a Born-Again Christian, spirit-filled and tongue-spoken. He is a teacher of the Word and Marriage Counsellor.
He is also a prayer-warrior and runs an interdenominational pre-work service each Wednesday in his office.
His hobbies include listening to Christian music, debates, reading of religious books, public opinion monitoring and evangelical discourses.
He is happily married with children.