Bekwarra Local Government Area
Bekwarra Local Government Area is in the Northern Senatorial District of Cross River State. There are ten political wards in the local government as follows:
- Afrike Ochagbe
- Afrike Okpeche
Bekwarra Local Government Area has it headquarters at Abuochiche. It is bounded in the north by Benue State, South by Ogoja Local Government Area, East by Obudu Locl Government
Area and West by Yala Government Area.
The major population groups of the local government area are Ujia, Unwapu, Unwagba Oli West, Oti East, Eya Aba, Beten, Uduo, Eya Adie, Ika-Ichia, Udomu, Atibulum, Afrike, Okpeche,
Ikachor and Ochagbe.
The major economic activities in the are include agriculture, cattle/goat and poultry rearing, petty trading et cetera. Majority of the indigenes are farmers whose produce and sold wothin and
outside the state.
The area has vey rich cultural heritage. The major traditional festival is the New Yam Festival held during the first week of September yearly.
The traditional market days are as follows:
The Bekwarra Local Government Area led by Architect Akobi has recorded success in efforts to better the lot of people.
Particular of note are the following:
- Construction of 40 room administrative block
- Construction of Traditional Rulers Office Complex
- Renovation of Ukpat and Gakem Health Centres
- Establishment of compressed brick industry
- Construction of three classroom blocks of six classrooms each in primary schools at Abuagbor, Iye, Otukpuru and Unwa Apu-Ukpah
- Construction of 52 giant semi-bridges and single cell reinforced culverts across the local government areas
- Grading/building of access feeder roads across the LGA
- Award of Bursary to students of the local government origin in higher institutions of learning
- Supply of note books to all primary schools in the local government area
In addition, three buses were purchased to ease transportation in the area while 12 motorcycles were distributed to youths in the area
as part of councils poverty alleviation programme.